The Career Strategy FrameworkA process and mental models for accelerating change to realize wealth and peace in your work life
Design your career
1 - Know
Understand who you are and the life you want
2 - Target
Identify your unique path and opportunity
Execute your career
3 - Plan
Envision and plan a journey of a lifetime
4 - Learn
Master your craft through continuous learning
5 - Sell
Build mind share and market share through value
Guide your career
6 - Connect
Engage the right people in your journey
7 - Decide
Optimize outcomes through strategic choice
What is the Framework?
The Career Strategy Framework is a playbook of 7 principles that help you design and travel a unique career path.
It’s the collection and integration of mental models that make this framework unique.
It captures what is required to manage your career from an end-to-end perspective.
Practicing these ideas can lead to higher income, more options, and boost well-being.
You will gravitate to a career you love and devote time over the long haul to earn achievements that are unique to your talents, experience, and personality.
Your actual life will evolve into the life you wish for.
It requires work and patience to apply the framework over time to develop a strategic mindset and see results.
Nobody can do this other than you – there are no silver bullets.
Taking control of how you want to spend each day is one of life’s most important tasks.
For people who seek career prosperity
The career path we choose is one of the most important decisions in our life.
It will impact our success, wealth, the people we come in contact with, and ultimately our happiness.
But yet, how we should strategically approach and answer this question is not taught in schools.
We are given a slice of time on this earth and how we manage the journey each day will influence the experience of our professional and personal life.
Mastering a career to achieve happiness and success over a lifetime requires more than deep domain expertise.
It demands strategy and the social skills to manage oneself and master interactions with others.
By becoming a master strategist, you will increase the likelihood that you will live the life you wish for.
This can lead to making more money, realizing higher levels of contribution, and mastering your internal state of happiness.
For organizations who seek top talent
Human capital is generally the most significant expense for an organization. It’s also the engine that translates ideas into products and services that create value for customers and shareholders.
An organization can maximize its return on human capital and competitive position by aligning the needs of the organization with the career aspirations of its employees.
Organizations become a magnet for talent when they institutionalize a “win-win” culture.
Adopting a proven framework that is more than just helping employees find their next job will develop the whole person and deliver business results.
Why a Framework?
- I am responsible for the choices and outcomes of my life. My happiness and freedom hinge on executing a career strategy that creates a unique path that I control doing work I love.
- I could not find a career process deep in strategy but yet practical to guide action. In 2006, I created a framework to help me succeed in my career and broader life.
- If we are not methodical in our approach to what is truly important, we will succumb to the daily machine of unconscious inertia. Deep issues emerge when we diverge off our path.
- The changing business landscape and forces make people irrelevant. Actively managing a career strategy is required to sustain a unique value proposition that fuels my livelihood and children’s dreams.
- By continuously practicing a set of principles that evolved from my life, it has become an effective form of self-therapy to overcoming obstacles and irrational behavior.
- As a leader, a career process attracts, develops, and exports talent across an organization.
- As a father, educating my kids on topics not taught in schools will accelerate their development and reduce learning the hard way. Their success in life influences my happiness.
- As a human being, helping others in their career pursuit can inspire a movement for people to do the same. All boats rise when people help people.
- It’s life and death – your ability to strategically evolve a career will dictate your options and long-term prosperity.
- Without a strategic direction that you control, you will be drawn into supporting the goals of others and not reach your true potential. You will be disappointed later in life.
- People are busy and often make quick decisions to hear your pitch. Think of yourself as a product with a succinct brochure on your achievements, persona, and value proposition.
- You are responsible for your career. Don’t expect organizations to provide answers and look after your best interests.
- Leaders are not mind readers. Articulate what you want to achieve, your high-level path, and where you need their help to garner support.
- Your life will inevitably be rocked by failure or issues outside your control. A solid strategic plan and confident mindset will mitigate irrational actions and reinforce calmness.
Who is it for?
- Students in high-school and college that need direction to choose fields of study, apprenticeships and establish an early vision of the life they wish for.
- Parents that need a collection of strategies and philosophies, not taught in school, to help shape their children’s thought process about choosing a career and how to get the most value from education.
- Professionals that are feeling stuck in their current job, need guidance on how to make a job/field transition or market themselves. Significant life-changing events are often a catalyst to re-evaluate your path.
- Side Hustlers who want to create options experimenting with unique passions while learning new skills and earning money on the side.
- Human Resource (HR) leaders that are seeking to build a culture of mutual success that aligns talent with the needs of the organization, improve retention, and an organization that is a magnet for talent.
- Managers seeking a proven framework and best practices to develop people within their team and export talent to the organization.
- Career Event Organizers that are seeking practical content from a master career strategist that enables professionals to quickly take action to support their career direction.